Monday, November 11, 2013

Glossy Lamp Makeover

Recently I found this lamp at Salvation Army for only $5. The double gourd shape was gorgeous and I just knew with a new coat of paint it would be perfect for the girls room.


I read this great tutorial on how to spray paint a lamp and decided to go for it. First the cord and socket were covered with plastic bags then taped off.


I decided on on Rustoleum's Universal Paint and Primer in One because it has great adhesion properties and the white color is a true white without being too bright. Three thin coats sprayed a few minutes apart were needed to fully cover the dark brown lamp base. This project was started just as the sun was setting so the white looks a little different by the third coat.
First Coat

Second Coat

Third Coat

While painting two bugs landed on the lamp. I worried I'd have to sand and add another coat the next day. I waited until the next day and lightly brushed them off. Luckily there were no marks so I then finished the lamp off with two coats of Rustoleum Clear Gloss. These coats were a little thicker to make the lamp as glossy as possible.


Here it is up close. Look at that shine!


Topped with a plain white barrel shade is fine for now. I'm on the lookout for some fun trim to add once I have a better idea of where the room is going colorwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and will respond to all comments soon as possible!