Monday, December 2, 2013

Les Touches Inspired Bulletin Board

I am still in love with the Les Touches fabric. I couldn't spend the $$ on it when making this pillow cover but still wanted that print to live somewhere in my house in a bad way. Since I'm currently in the process of redoing my girls room, I thought I could bring in a little DIY Les Touches to their room in a fun way. My 4 year old daughter loves everything metallic and shiny so I decided to try my hand with a paint pen.

This cork board was purchased for $3 at Goodwill.

The wood frame had a clear topcoat so I gave it a light sanding then sprayed with Zinsser 1-2-3 Primer.

Two coats of white paint were rolled on to fully cover the cork and brushed onto the frame. I was fortunate to find copies of the Les Touches fabric I could print from this wonderful blog. The paper copies were a guide but I didn't follow them exactly. Many people have projectors for projects like this but I just tried free hand and hoped for the best.

By the way did you see the paint pen I used? It's Krylons 18K Gold Leafing Pen and it's great! The gold paint has a beautiful warm tone and is very reflective. At first I was going to use a gold Sharpie but was worried it wouldn't be metallic enough. With a 50% coupon it was $4.50 at Hobby Lobby so not the cheapest paint pen around but it helped make my amateur attempt look decent.

The spots were a little tedious to paint on. I knocked it out in four 15 minute sessions while catching up on The Voice after the kiddos went to bed. Halfway through I decided to add a few more spots than the inspiration fabric because it looked a little off. Here it is hanging on the girl's wall over their newly painted lilac campaign dressers.



With time this board will fill up with special pictures and treasures. A few gold spots will peek through as an added bonus. Now I've satisfied my Les Touches dreams and gold shiny animal print is what little girls dream of right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and will respond to all comments soon as possible!